In no particular order, a short list of some of my favorite reads from the last week.
- Nothing like the New York Times' list of 100 Notable Books of 2014 to make you feel woefully behind in your reading.
- An oldie but a goodie, 25 Guys to Avoid on Wall Street by former CNBC writers, John Carney & Ash Bennington. Time for an update, boys?
- In other classics, Tom Wolfe's, Radical Chic: That Party at Lenny's is just as brilliant (and apropos) today as it was 40-some years ago.
- Another person who gets it right? Chris Rock. His interview with Frank Rich in this week's New York Magazine makes me wish comedians ran the world. (Reminiscent of Aristophanes' 'The Frogs', perhaps?)
- Who knew the bond world was the stuff of soap operas? Bloomberg's Mary Childs looks at the lead-up to Bill Gross' exit from Pimco.
- On the other side of the Pacific, the US is quickly learning that North Korea's tech game is nothing to laugh at. Sorry Sony...
- And always near and dear to my heart, is Venezuela. Silvana Ordonez looks at what falling oil prices could do to the nation.
* As for the thumbnail photo? That's me circa 1987 "waiting to learn to read" - I got finally but have yet to master it.