...my #financefive from the week that was...
- New York has never been a city touted for income inequality but this interactive graphic from The New Yorker shows how drastically incomes very by subway stop.
- Dr. Doom becomes Dr. Realist: economics just got more fun. Famed economist Nouriel Roubini just launched a new website called Roubini's Edge which takes a more conversational approach to the dismal science. Check out the primer on monetary policy for starters.
- Word of the week: skulduggery. This writer for the Financial Times has some unkind words for the banking industry.
- It was a big week for the art world. Christie's & Sotheby's had very impressive weeks with $2.3 billion of art auctioned off. Cy Twombly's scribbles sold for $70 million. If you're curious to know what the piece looks like, hand a 4 year old a piece of chalk and wait.
- Good news, bad news. Apparently there is a cotton surplus...which could provide incentive for fashion designers to move away from the skinny jean. Unfortunately, there's also a chocolate shortage...just when you wanted to show off your svelte figure in skinny jeans. Fashion is cruel.